Friday 19 April 2013

Dad's Vege Soup

My dad runs the kitchen in my family home and will always have dinner on the table for us when we come home. We may not all be there at the same time, or even on the same night, but there is always something saved aside when we need it.
He's certainly not a culinary expert and has no chance on winning any prizes for 'plating up', but we've taught him to cook nutritious food that almost always tastes just right.


This soup is like my family: a tad rough around the edges but crammed full - guaranteeing something for everyone. (Not an easy feat with 7 children, 4 grandchildren and tonnes of extra people always stopping by).
This soup lets you empty your refrigerator of anything you no longer find appealing or have no idea how to cook! It warms you from the inside out in winter and is surprisingly refreshing on a hot summers day (when I started writing this post it was 30C and I had just enjoyed a bowl!). The best thing about this soup though is that it only contains fresh, healthy ingredients so you can enjoy thirds if you like and still not feel guilty!

I make this soup when I'm sick and request it when I've had a tough week. It's great re-heated for lunch the next day and I'm sure it would freeze fine - though I haven't tried it. I don't know how to make small quantities (I never can with soup), but even if I could it wouldn't help in sharing the recipe. 
Dad's Vege Soup
makes one big pot
2 onions
2 cloves garlic
Herbs, dried or fresh
Salt and pepper
Whatever vegies you can find in your fridge from beetroot leaves to brussels sprouts, but here are some of our favourites:
Pumpkin
Sweet potato
Swede
Brussels sprouts
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Zucchini
ok, this is stupid - they all work well!

Fry your onion and garlic (or not if you don't have any) in the bottom of a large saucepan until soft. Add your herbs and fry for a minute to release the flavours. Add chopped vegies - we like our vegies big and chunky in this soup - and just cover with water. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat to simmer. Add some salt and pepper and allow to simmer for as long as it takes for the vegies to become soft. Probably around 40 minutes, but we're not sure.

This soup can be reheated over the stove later if you've made it early or have lots of left overs, or by the bowl in a microwave.

My dad would add more salt at the end and say it's enjoyed best with a glass of his homemade stout, I on the other hand find it needs nothing but a big spoon. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment