Tuesday 23 April 2013

ANZAC Day

I'm ready!
What would be the point of posting my delicious ANZAC biscuit recipe AFTER ANZAC day?


I had to get ready a couple of days early this year with the insane study load that I have at the moment, so last night my kitchen was filled with my off-key voice singing "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda" and smells of golden syrup and oatey goodness.

I made two batches: one chewy (my favourite) and one crunchy (my grandad's favourite).

My chewy recipe is one I've been using for a few years now that makes beautifully chewy cookies with just enough crisp around the edges to munch on.

I have a 1970's copy of The Australian and New Zealand Complete Book of Cookery and where else should one turn to find an ANZAC recipe?! The crunchy biscuits from here were thin and crunchy but seemed to have less flavour than my chewy biscuits. Still fabulous, however, and I'm yet to give my grandad any to taste test so we shall see!

The two recipes are very similar - the same ingredients with different amounts of butter, sugar and golden syrup is all.

Chewy ANZAC Biscuits
1 cup plain flour
1 cup desiccated coconut
1 cup oats
3/4 cup brown sugar

125g butter (I used Nuttelex original)
2 tbsp golden syrup
2 tbsp water
1 tsp bicarb soda

Preheat oven to 160C.
Stir the butter, syrup and water over low heat in a medium saucepan until melted, then add bicarb soda.
Mix together dry ingredients (I like to use a whisk to do this to remove my sugar lumps).
Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix to make a sticky but firm batter.

Place small tablespoons of mixture onto a baking paper lined tray and cook for 10 - 20 minutes until golden around the edges. Makes about 24 large biscuits.



Crunchy ANZAC Biscuits
From The Australian and New Zealand Complete Book of Cookery
1 cup plain flour
1 cup desiccated coconut
1 cup oats
1 cup brown sugar

4 oz (110g) butter (again, I used Nuttelex original)
1 tbsp golden syrup
2 tbsp boiling water
1 tsp bicarb soda

Preheat oven to 160C.
Stir the butter and syrup over low heat in a medium saucepan until melted, then combine boiling water and bicarb and add it to the saucepan.
Mix together dry ingredients, then add wet mixture to the dry and stir until sticky but firm!

Place teaspoons of mixture onto a baking paper lined tray and cook for 20 minutes until golden. Makes 48 small biscuits.

The cook book specified teaspoons and I liked the smaller size (normal size..) of these biscuits. The book also said 20 minutes and mine were cooked in 20 minutes exactly!





















Lest we forget.






No comments:

Post a Comment