Friday 19 April 2013

Breakfast Coconut Cake

In Tasmania the seasons change every few minutes so you can never rely too heavily on the usual month-season relationship. This year, however, the summer was ripper hot and has stuck around for the first half of autumn. Then suddenly, smack bang in the middle-most week of autumn a cold snap occurred and we've got snow on the mountains and everyone has their puffer jackets on!

It also means that everyone is sick this week. Me included. I woke up this morning knowing that it was going to be a very slow and groggy weekend for me.. and all I could think about was a bowl of smoking hot custard to run down my throat. I don't remember the last time I ate custard so that was pretty weird.. I decided instead to give myself a heart-warming pikelet stack with baked fruit.

The recipe I used was about as successful as trying to tell my nose to stop running today.. what a flop.

Solution? Bang it in a baking dish and bake it in a hot oven for an hour! Andddd.... IT WORKED!


This cake isn't dense enough to slice on a plate so I suggest serving it in a mug or bowl with a good dollop of coconut cream and a teaspoon of rice malt syrup or honey :)

 Coconut Breakfast Cake with Apricots and Almonds
1/2 cup Coconut flour
1/2 tsp Baking powder
3 Chia eggs (3 tbsp ground chia seed + 9 tbsp warm water)
3 cups Milk (I used oat because I'd run out of almond - almond is probably best!)
1 tsp Salt
1 tbsp Coconut oil

Dried apricots (about 12)
Almonds (about a handful)

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 200C. Whisk chia seed into warm water and set aside for 10 minutes to get thick.
2. Mix milk, chia eggs and melted coconut oil together.
3. Add flour, baking powder and salt - mix together well.
4. Pour into a small loaf tin, then drop apricots and almonds evenly over the mixture and let them sink in. Bake in the oven for about an hour.

Serve with a dollop of coconut cream and a tsp of rice malt syrup (or honey, agave or maple syrup!)

This was exactly what I need to warm me from the inside out :) Happy winter!


No comments:

Post a Comment